Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Freedom!

I had the arch bars removed this morning under general IV sedation.  So nice to be free and my gums really don't hurt that much.  They look kind of yuck, but should improve over time.  I got a script for pain meds, but the aleve I took earlier in the day is sufficient so far.  It's strange going under...I had the most painless IV insertion ever, was told they were giving me something to relax and I was totally out a minute later.  Woke up hearing a conversation about gerbils between my nurse and someone else and felt the need to chime in for some reason.  Ended up talking with her about dogs though I can't remember half of our conversation.  Apparently I'm very talkative while on drugs.  I'm like that when I drink too, so not surprising I guess. At least I didn't spill any of my deepest darkest secrets.  I feel pretty much back to normal already from the sedation, all in all much easier than I thought.  So glad I opted to be put under.

I got a referral for physical therapy and set up an appointment for next week.  My current mouth opening is ~2.2 cm, and I can just fit 2 fingers in my mouth. Normal is 4cm or approximately the ability to fit 3 fingers in one's mouth (stacked vertically). I'm curious as to what they'll have me do.  Stacked tongue blades, rubber plugs and special devices like the therabite are commonly used items according to what I have read.  I am hopeful that I will regain normal opening.  I am less optimistic that I will ever have normal lateral movement, as I haven't seen any improvement in that, however, that is less important in terms of function.  I just want to be able to eat hamburgers, sandwiches, bananas etc. without having to cut them up first.  There's also no way that I would be able to perform a certain type of sex act at this point, though I'm not really missing that ;) Yes, I just went there.

My last appointment with my oral surgeon is in one week.  I am cleared to see a dentist 2 weeks after that. I look forward to getting my chipped tooth fixed (it is sharp!) and my teeth cleaned.  My bottom front teeth in particular have some serious plaque build up from the month or so that I couldn't brush them.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I know it’s been years since you’ve broken your jaw but I still wish you well. My partner broke her jaw and unfortunately it’s been a year and she isn’t getting better. She needs corrective surgery. So I started a fundraiser I’d like to share with you . Please support LiAnne on this long journey of recovery ahead.
    I've shared a campaign I care about because I think you'll want to support it too.

    https://fundly.com/wired-shut-1?ft_src=email_share_mobile
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete